All Tings Cherry Chocolate

observations. tech. games. news. humour. friends. you. me.

Friday, October 21, 2005

NDS = Now Damn Shiok


I’ve been spending quality time with my new Nintendo DS (Dual Screen) since Tuesday. May seem hard to believe but this is actually my first foray into the world of the big N, the grandfather of videogaming. I’ll admit to being a Damn Suaku.

My history with video-gaming started from a loaned Atari when I was very young (Missile Command left a distinct impression), but went only as far as the several Game & Watches I received later as rewards. The forbidden tree bearing the sweet fruits of video game consoles was surrounded with concertina wire, claymore mines and assorted Vietcong booby-traps by my parents to ensure that I was never distracted from my studies. NES, Megadrive and Playstation could only be my imaginary friends. I’ve only been making up lost time since last December with my Xbox and now the DS.

Although selling by the container loads because of Nintendogs, what hooked me to sink my clams on a DS were the new games Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Trauma Center: Under the Knife. Which other system will allow you to play as a Lawyer or a Surgeon? I’ll never get tired of shouting “Objection!” into the DS microphone to halt court proceedings, or wielding the stylus as scalpel on the DS touchscreen to operate on my patients! Playing Doctor has never been more fun *wink wink*.

Catching up one year late after launch sucks, especially when you want a DS colour that’s hot (Pearl White & Graphite Black) and out of stock indefinitely islandwide. The hunt took me to game shops everywhere, and gave me a better appreciation of the local videogame distribution and retail scene. Don’t shop at People’s Park or Parkway Parade (you’ll get P-ed on). I finally uncovered the last set at Seow Choon, incidentally one of the pioneers in the trade and one of the best. Friendly over the phone, knowledgeable staff, great prices and a lifetime loyalty program (with a cool membership card). Check out their Jalan Besar main branch (Opposite Sim Lim Tower) for gaming nirvana.

I am a happy camper.

p.s. I'd like to acknowledge the hiccup that was the Neo Geo Pocket Colour I got a few years back. It looked and played better, but fizzled to the better-marketed juggernaut that was the Game Boy. Kinda like Zen vs. iPod.

1 Comments:

  • At October 22, 2005 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are lucky. I've gotten my PSP since it was launched and have yet to play it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home