All Tings Cherry Chocolate

observations. tech. games. news. humour. friends. you. me.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

It's Brilliant 'Innit?


I started checking out podcasts only last December, downloading by topics of interest to my phone to entertain myself while on the cruise. While searching for shows on comedy, The Ricky Gervais Show turned up and was promptly downloaded and subscribed. Currently in it’s 6th episode, it’s now touted as the No.1 podcast in the world! The show is just unbelievably funny, although I sometimes wince at the way Ricky puts down Karl Pilkington (and you will want to Google Karl after you listen to the show).

Ricky's abuse of Karl mirrors his role as David Brent in the hit BBC comedy, The Office, a "dra-medy" of well, office life. David Brent, a Regional Manager of paper merchants Werham Hogg, manages his team as the most incompetent, self-serving, vain, act-cool, non-PC manager imaginable, much like the "boss" in Dilbert, but much worse. The other main characters are Gareth, David's assistant with previous military experience *wink wink*, and the underachiever Tim. (pictured above in character, clockwise from left: David, Gareth and Tim)

The show ended its run late last year on Central, and I didn’t really warm up to it as I only caught one or two episodes. I compared it loosely to shows like Arrested Development and Curb Your Enthusiasm, which are acquired tastes especially if you don't follow them regularly.

Since I really liked the podcast, I decided to give the series another chance and rented the entire series 1 and 2 from my neighbourhood video store. Only 12 episodes for the entire 2 seasons, I watched the entire thing in two days and appreciated why this series became a hit (and prompted a US remake).

Ricky's acting is top-notch and his portrayal of a delusional boss more interested in fame and popularity than team performance made me uncomfortable and cringe many times. Instead of many laugh-out loud moments, its the kind of show that will probably draw more snickers and winks because you are bound to have met or worked with someone like that. And if you are someone like David Brent, you'll probably dismiss this show as trying to put hardworking, philosophical and people-managers like you down.

Link to Ricky's website here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home